Portugal lies on the Atlantic coast of the Iberian Peninsula in Southwestern Europe and hugs 832 kilometers stretch of the Atlantic coastline that is dotted with unspoiled beaches. The country’s interior boasts of breathtaking landscapes and beautiful cities full of incredible architecture. Portugal enjoys sunny weather for most of the year and boasts of excellent fresh produce and a delectable cuisine of mostly seafood like sardines and cod fish. It is an excellent option for expat families as they can avail of quality education, easy access to healthcare and an overall high quality of life with the Golden Visa Portugal.
However, these are not the only reasons why Portugal is a good choice for second citizenship or passport.
Enjoy one of the safest countries in the world with the Golden Visa Portugal
Portugal is currently the third safest country in the world and has one of the lowest crime rates in Europe according to the latest Global Peace Index. This is because the Portuguese government recognizes the importance of safety and security for its citizens and the tourists that visit the country. Included
This climate of security and public safety has contributed greatly to the country’s economic development and investment.
What is the Golden Visa Portugal?
A Golden Visa Portugal allows the holder to live, work, and study in Portugal and anywhere else within the European Union, European Economic Area, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.
Benefits of the Golden Visa Portugal
- A minimum investment of €500,000 in real estate property or capital investments
- Travel visa-free within the European Union, European Economic Area, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and 186 other countries
- Includes family members
- Renewable every two years with no residency requirements
- Citizenship is possible in 5 years
- Allows holder to live, work, and study in Portugal
- Excellent educational system
- Excellent healthcare system
Golden Visa Portugal, real estate option
The Golden Visa Portugal real estate option is perhaps the most popular way to get residency in Portugal. This is because Portugal is seen as a prime destination among property investors, with a flourishing real estate market, high rental yields, and booming tourism industry.
- Many expats buy properties in Portugal for tourism purposes, or to serve as a second home or a retirement destination. You can invest in newly-built properties in thriving Lisbon or Porto starting from €500,000.
- However, the Portuguese government would like to transfer the focus of real estate investments from the high-density areas like Lisbon, Porto, the Algrave, and the high-density coastal towns like Setubal and the Silver Coast to low-density areas like the Azores, Madeira and the cities and towns in the interior of Portugal where you can invest €350,000 for existing properties located in urban re-generation areas
- The most economical investment route for the scheme is to make a €280K investment in the rehabilitation of real estate in low-density areas. The Portugal Golden Visa property for sale must at least be more than thirty years old and undergoing renovation.
Golden Visa Portugal, capital investment options
Investing in private equity funds or Golden Visa Portugal venture capital funds is a good option for acquiring residency in Portugal. The funds are managed by fund managers who are accredited by Portugal’s regulatory body, the CMVM. Your dedicated fund manager ensures that the Golden Visa Portugal fund investments are appropriately managed in start-ups or medium-sized projects with optimal growth potential.
- A capital transfer of at least €1.5 million
- A €500,000 investment into private equity or venture capital funds providing capital to specified companies
- A €500,000 investment in companies that are scientific or technological in nature
- A €500,000 business investment in the form of either the purchase of shares in a Portuguese company or setting up a company in sectors like energy, industry, technology, and real estate.
- Generate at least five permanent jobs for at least three years for Portuguese citizens.
Golden Visa Portugal tax benefits
- Golden Visa Portugal’s income tax benefits are a big draw for foreign investors looking to get the most out of their financial contribution. Visa holders don’t need to pay extra taxes on income produced outside of Portugal.
- There’s also an option to register as a fiscal resident for tax purposes in Portugal. This is a fantastic option as it’ll allow you to then directly benefit from Portugal’s Non-Habitual Tax (NHR) Regime. NHR is a generous tax program with numerous benefits pertaining to your global income. It offers tax-free incentives on certain categories for a period of up to ten years.
- Additionally, any Portuguese-sourced income would be taxed at a flat rate of 20% during the first ten years and there is also the ability to pass on your wealth to a spouse or dependent without incurring inheritance or gift taxes.